Wednesday, September 24, 2008

An Early and Sober Night

Thank goodness!

Not that I have been that out of control - nor has anyone yet, I don't think - but it is very nice to have tonight to myself and catch up on things and digest the week a bit.

What is there to digest? Schmoozing! New friends! New professors! Economics! Math Boot Camp! Projects and study groups and library services and careers! Oh my!

The week is flying by, and I am just trying to take it all in as much as I can.

I thought, seeing as I have made it over halfway through my first week, that I should pose myself a two-part question:

What has been the most pleasant surprise? And:

What has been a disappointment?

Well, since I have already gone on and on about how fabulous the people are, I will say that another very pleasant surprise has been the way the staff is easing us into things here. The days have been jam-packed with introductory sessions on everything from our projects (there are three on this course - yikes!) to the amazing services offered by the library (seriously - my perceptions of libraries and librarians are forever altered) to IT nuts and bolts to our post-MBA career path. It is a TON to process in our fabulous but overstimulated MBA student brains, but the staff is doing a marvelous job of spacing things out, giving us schmooze time and booze time and even a bit of free time.

The biggest disappointment, by waaaaaaaay far, is the university gym. I attempted a workout this evening, going in with a positive attitude even though I had already seen the facility and was not, um, impressed. My workout? Was a disaster. The gym? Is skeezy, smelly, spanky, and skanky. Well, maybe not skanky. I'd like to think that my fellow classmates and colleagues here are classier than that. But nice-smelling they are not. At least not in the cramped, pastel-colored, air-circulation-less, damp, dank chamber that is this fitness room. And I have been to some skankarific gyms before, but this one takes the cake for its unfathomable combination of unpleasant features. Even the purple pleather on the Cybex machines is discolored from years of use by sweating scholars.

It is gross. Totally, completely gross.

Apparently my graduate dorm, where I will be moving on Saturday, contains my college gym. I am desperately holding out hope that somehow my tiny college gym is nicer than the main university one. I really don't see how it can be worse.

(I just knocked on wood.)

I get to sleep in tomorrow! Yipee! And then we have an intro to career services, our second economics pre-course lecture (yes, it's a pre-course, which means it's not graded! Rejoice!) and then... a barbeque at my college for the entire MBA class! Must get my beauty rest so I can be a fabulous hostess.

Good night!

No comments: