Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Why Go Global?

I will be the first to admit that when I first started my MBA process a couple years ago, I didn't even think about programs outside the US. My friends and family and professional connections are all in the US, and I'd never planned on working for an international company. Indeed, California was as far away as I would consider.

Then the man of my dreams came along - Wait! Empowered independent women! Bear with me! - and so did his job transfer from NYC to London. A voluntary transfer, mind you. And all of a sudden English MBA programs scooted to the top of my list.

Did I do it just for the guy? Nope. Was he the deciding factor in choosing my top choice UK school over my top choice US school? Well... at the end of the day, when all was said and done, and I had my two acceptance letters in my hands... yeah, he was.

Empowered independent women, please keep reading. I am being honest here. You can respect that, right?

But! I lucked out. Majorly. See, I had always wanted to live in England, even before meeting the guy. I just never had a good enough excuse to move across the pond, and was daunted at the thought of living all the way over here by myself. The guy and I met just as we were both entering hugely transitional phases in our lives. Fortunately, we were able to make these transitions together. As crazy as it all seemed, and as fast as it all happened, the timing and the circumstances ironed themselves out quite nicely for me and for us.

So here I am. Quite excited to be doing my MBA abroad, if I do say so myself.

If you decide to go global, here are some important things to keep in mind:

1. Name recognition
I know, I know. But seriously. What's the point of dropping $80K on a program that no one in your home country will have ever heard of? As much as I don't like the idea of paying for a name, when it comes to an MBA you want to be in a program with which your future employers will be impressed, not confounded.

2. Being away from family and friends
I couldn't have done it alone! Or, well, I could have, but it would have been really hard. Good MBA programs abound. There is no reason torture yourself being far away from loved ones. Life's too short.

3. Cultural immersion
Part of studying abroad is embracing the local culture. If you have absolutely no interest in this, perhaps going global is not for you. As for me, well, cultural immersion over here means scones and clotted cream, football (as in soccer), Guinness, Wimbledon, fish 'n chips, and the Windsor fam. I can't get enough!

4. The logistics
Are a pain in the patootie. If you are not a patient person, or the program is not worth the hassle of visas and an international move, stay local.

5. The program itself
All of the programs in England except one are just one year. Woohoo! I wasn't actually that thrilled about being in school for two years, so even though I'm sure this year will be more intense than I dare fathom, it'll be nice to have my degree 12 months from today.

But my program fits me well in other ways, too. And that is hugely important. Whether you are a finance whiz, a quant nerd, a marketing genius, or a non-profit rock star, make sure the programs for which you apply include courses and resources that will support your interests.

6. International work experience
Perhaps the best part of my MBA process thus far has been opening my mind to the idea of working for an international company - or, more appropriately in my case, a global non-profit. If MBA programs claim anything, it's that the sky is the limit professionally. So why was I limiting myself to and within the States? And even if I end up working for a small UK organization before returning to the US, international work experience looks fab on a resumé.

At least these are my thoughts pre-MBA. Rest assured as I commence my program, I'll be posting more about my global gamble. Time will tell.

No comments: